Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fabulous February!

As it is creeping up on almost 2 months since my last update, I figured since I've got downtime this evening, why not type up a little something. Kindergarten has been an absolute whirlwind, and the fact that it is now nearing the end of February is blowing my mind. 5th 6 weeks began this week, which means in 12 weeks, kindergarten will be over and done. :( I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Am I looking forward to summer vacation? Of course! I am definitely not looking forward to the goodbyes and just know that the tears will flow at that end of the year party.

It's been a year of ups and downs for my first year, but thankfully it has been mostly ups. I have learned so much and have been blessed to be a part of a wonderful team of teachers, who work extremely well together. They have supported me completely and are never hesistant to offer up assistance at all. God blessed me with Sara and Veronica for sure, don't know where I would be without them. Looking back on where I started, it's hard to believe how much my children have grown. Yes, I refer to them as my children. I get called mom at least once a week by someone, and one child even called her mom "Ms. Selmon." My kids are reading now! Did I teach them that?! In a class now full of 22 students, I have 18 on track in reading. That's not bad for a first year, if I do say so myself. This entire first year for me is one of trial and error, learning what works and what doesn't, and already I am seeing some things that I plan to do differently next school year. Fall 2010 will be a shock, starting with a clean slate of kids who need to be filled up! I hope I can succeed.

Valentine's Day this year was the best I've ever had, hands down. In years past I've been rather cynical about the holiday, mostly because of my single status seeming to be in effect every single one. This year, though, that was different. My sweet boyfriend definitely made me feel loved, and it was a nice surprise that wasn't expected in the least. I also had my first Valentine's party at school the Friday prior to Valentine's Day. It was.. quite the experience! While I did have fun, I was grateful when the party was over. Children for some reason tend to be crazier for this party than they do for the Christmas one. All the sugar, perhaps? Who knows, but it was definitely very LOUD down the kindergarten hall, and anyone not familiar with the goings on in kindergarten were probably stunned at the noise level. You learn to tune it out really, and the noise doesn't bother me so long as my kids are being productive and getting things done. I think I would like to ban parents from attending though, as most were a hindrance rather than a help, just another body to take up space in a room already full to capacity. If I could have it my way, I would choose a select few parents who I know are good to come in and help and tell the rest to stay home!

One sweet part of the day that melted my heart was John. He is definitely one of my favorites, too cute for words, and it sometimes gets him in trouble. He came to school in an "I <3 Ms. Selmon" t-shirt, and that moment alone was enough to make the entire day worthwhile. Then at the end of the party as he was leaving, he gave me a boquet of red roses and a teddybear to go with it. Apparently he gave his parents a list of things he HAD to get me for the holiday. It was a nice little nod from God that I am doing a good job and that I am setting my class up on the right path for their educational career. I only hope to be the teacher that they remember, the one they keep in touch with and come back to visit. His mom, as wonderful as she is, sent me the following in an email regarding John:

"Earlier this evening, I casually mentioned to him that by next school year he'll be in 1st grade and Ms. Selmon won't be his teacher anymore. He stopped what he was doing and started crying. He said, 'but I love Ms. Selmon, I want her to be my teacher forever.' He told me not to ever say that again and made me promise that I wouldn't send him to 1st grade. I thought it was really cute, but it breaks my heart to see him cry. You must have done one heck of a job to have that impact on him. My son loves and adores you and I admire you for that. I have love and respect for people like you who genuinely love and care for my child. THANK YOU SO MUCH!"

So despite the tears, the tantrums, the accidents, the fights, the tattle-telling, and the noise, I get the hugs, the smiles, the enthusiasm/excitement for learning, and the lightbulbs going off overhead. Kindergarten is the place to be and I honestly see myself here for many many years to come. Here's to going out with a bang this year and making every one of my children readers! I love my job, and God is good!

2 comments:

  1. this gives me so much encouragement and you should absolutely be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I can help! There are some days I feel like a pro, and some days where I definitely get that bit of a reality check, haha. But thank you so much! I definitely am. :)

    ReplyDelete